We all want to have our holiday cake and cookies, minus the calories and fat. Most of us fear that the “less calorie and lower-fat” versions of holiday treats just won’t taste quite as good. Think again! Here are links to some of our favorite, guilt-free holiday treats. These are perfect to make with your family or friends and will make you feel better about indulging in those treats this holiday season.
· Ginger-Molasses cookies. These delicious cookies are low in carbohydrates and fat, as well as a low-sodium option which is great for those looking to have a more heart-healthy option.
· 5-ingredient cookie. These vegan, cane-sugar free cookies are so simple to make and are (almost) as good as the real thing. You just need five simple ingredients and a food processor.
· Low-fat eggnog. Eggnog is synonymous with the holiday season, but it can be chock-full with fat and calories. Try this simple recipe for a more manageable, but still delicious holiday eggnog drink.
· Sweet and Smoky Pecans. If you’re anything like us, candied pecans are one of our favorite holiday treats, but they are high in sugar content. This recipe cuts back on refined sugar and adds a bit of a spicy punch. The perfect combo of sweet and spicy.
· Healthy pumpkin pie. Gluten-free AND vegan? Need we say more? This delicious recipe will help you keep your waist-line and sugar consumption in check while still keeping with holiday tradition.
· Apple pie with caramel sauce. This is another vegan and gluten-free treat that is sure to delight all of your guests. We love new ways to make our favorite apple pie recipes, and this one is perfect.
If you’re looking to maintain your weight while still enjoying the treats of the holidays, try these simple tricks:
· Drink a glass of water before you eat
· Avoid going back for seconds
· Put down your fork in between bites and fully enjoy the food and company
· Take a walk or get active with your family after a meal
Inter Valley Health Plan hosts classes regularly on health and vitality. For a full list of classes in your area, please visit forhealthandliving.com/ivhpevents.
Article From Inter Valley Health Plan