For many of us, getting to a gym to workout might either be too challenging physically or logistically. This does not, however, mean that we can’t still improve our health by increasing our activity and movement throughout the day. One easy and convenient way to do that is by simply walking.
Walking might seem ordinary, but it is an incredibly powerful exercise method with or without any additional physical fitness regimes. Adding only 30 minutes of walking to your day can significantly improve your cardiovascular health, strengthen your bones, reduce body fat and increase muscle power and endurance.
The power of walking is proven. Here are our top reasons to get up and walk more often:
1. Helps Regulate Blood Pressure. Walking regularly (ideally 10,000 steps/day) has been shown to significantly drop blood pressure and increase stamina. Even if you aren’t able to complete 10,000 steps/day, walking for at least 60 minutes will help keep you blood pressure levels in check.
2. Improves Circulation. Did you ever imagine something as simple as walking could increase your intelligence? Walking has been proven to increase blood flow throughout the body, including the brain, helping it function more optimally.
3. Benefits Digestion. Much like benefiting circulation, walking improves digestion by keeping the necessary blood flow and cell functions running smoothly. In addition to walking, maintaining good dietary habits and drinking lots of water will maximize digestive health.
4. Boosts Immune System. As we age, your immune health is of utmost importance. Walking can help bolster the immune cells that help to heal your body more quickly.
5. Keeps You Happy. Several studies have shown that physical activity can help prevent depression. Walking outside while getting some fresh air will help increase your energy and uplift your mood.
Inter Valley Health Plan hosts classes regularly on health and vitality. For a full list of classes in your area, please visit ivhp.com/forhealthandliving
Article From Inter Valley Health Plan