The Medicare Open Enrollment period begins October 15, so preparing and researching which healthcare plan best fits your needs ahead of time will be key.
As you begin researching Medicare Advantage plans and preparing your action items, consider consulting this checklist to make sure you’ve covered it all:
1. Compare costs. Not all health plans cost the same, so comparing benefits and costs are a crucial component for most people when choosing a health plan. Planning for the monthly premiums and out-of-pocket expenses will help you narrow down which plan works best for your finances.
2. Ensure your medications are covered. Don’t forget that your pharmaceutical needs are important and should be weighed into your decision. Look in your cabinet and take inventory of the medications you need. Make sure the plan you choose covers them so you aren’t hit with hefty out-of-pocket costs.
3. Review the doctor list. This is especially important if you’re switching plans. Check to see if your current doctors are in the network for the plans you are considering. If they aren’t, you will need to decide if changing to different physicians is okay with you.
4. Are auxiliary services covered--- such as vision, hearing and dental? These services ca be important for your overall health and costs can add up quickly if they are not covered as part of the health plan.
5. Consider the importance of customer service. When in need, you want to be able to pick up the phone and get a live person easily and quickly and/or speak with a specialist face-to-face. Ensuring you can trust your health plan for quick and helpful responses will be beneficial in the end.
6. Seek advice from others. Ask friends and family what they find to be important elements of their health plan. Also ask them for recommendations of health plans they love. Doing your research online is still important, but gauging your personal network for advice can provide additional and valuable insight.
Be proactive and start your research now so you feel fully prepared and confident about your decision as October 15th approaches. Inter Valley Health Plan hosts classes regularly on health and vitality. For a full list of classes in your area, please visit https://www.ivhp.com/forhealthandliving
Article From Inter Valley Health Plan