You’ve planned and prepared for the holiday season year after year. And yet, when the holidays finally arrive, you still find yourself scrambling to get it all done in time.
Practicing good time management will allow you to take control over your time so that you are more efficient in getting your to-do list completed, while still making time for the people and activities that mean the most to you. Try these tricks to become a master of your time this holiday season.
· Create a to-do list and prioritize. Sometimes visualizing the items you need to accomplish will not only allow you to keep track of everything you have to do, but prioritizing it will help you understand what absolutely needs to get done versus the items that are less important (and therefore less necessary, should you run out of time). Checking items off this list will also give you a sense of accomplishment and power of your time.
· Build in buffer time. While we always hope everything goes as planned, it is more likely that you will encounter some hiccups along the way that may set you back in time. Overestimate how much time you need to accomplish a particular task to avoid this issue. The worst case: you will finish early and have extra time to enjoy yourself.
· Practice saying no. You certainly don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings, but sometimes you simply have to say no to things that are not realistic and you know will cause you stress. If you have a hard time saying no to the ones you love, try rescheduling to a more convenient time in the future after the more pressing items are completed.
· Stick to one task at a time. Many studies show that too much multi-tasking actually decreases our efficiency. Practice your focus on the task at hand to get it done effectively and quickly, then move on to the next task.
· Make sure to make time for you. The holidays are all about family and friends, but it is critical that you make sure you keep some time for yourself. It will keep you more relaxed and ultimately more mindful of the real spirit of the holidays! Inter Valley Health Plan hosts classes regularly on health and vitality. For a full list of classes in your area, please visit forhealthandliving.com/ivhpevents.
Article From Inter Valley Health Plan