Healthy Memorial Day BBQ Recipes
On the last Monday of this month, May 29th
, we remember and honor the military service members who sacrificed their lives in the line of duty to protect our democracy and our freedom. We owe so much more to these heroic men and women than a single day of remembrance, but we can honor and celebrate them by spending quality time with loved ones, sharing laughter, happiness and joy.
Here in America, it is no wonder that our favorite way to spread joy is through food and feasting. It can be tough to choose stick with nutritious snacks and meals on holidays such as this but it is possible with some planning. In preparation for this Memorial Day, we have compiled some of our favorite dishes to make on the barbeque (and otherwise) that are both healthy and delicious. Appetizer: Tequila Glazed Shrimp Skewers
1 pound raw large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails left on
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 jalapeno chili, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Zest of 1 lime--- plus lime wedges for serving
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup tequila
1 shallot, finely chopped
8 bamboo skewers
Chopped fresh chives (optional)
Cilantro sprigs (optional) Preparation
Main Dish: Sirloin and Chimichurri Sauce
- In a large Ziploc bag, combine shrimp, oil, half the jalapeno, half the garlic, zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- In a shallow saucepan, combine remaining jalapeno and garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, orange juice, tequila, and shallots. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until mixture is thick, about 10 minutes.
- Soak the skewers in water briefly and thread four shrimp per skewer.
- Heat a gas grill on high and grill shrimp, turning once, until just opaque, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plates and drizzle tequila sauce over the shrimp. Garnish with chives and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
1 pound sirloin flap steak
1 cup packed arugula
1/2 cup packed flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup olive oil
2 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the grill to medium-high and season the steak with some salt and pepper.
- In a food processor, pulse together the rest of the ingredients and set aside in a small bowl.
Dessert: Mojito Popsicles (contains alcohol)
- Grill the steak until the meat is charred on the outside and rare within, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a carving board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice the steak across the grain. Serve right away with the chimichurri sauce.
1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice
2 1/2 cups club soda
1 cup cold water
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
1 lemon, peeled and cut into wedges
3 limes, peeled and cut into wedges
1 teaspoon liquid Stevia
4 tablespoons light rum
Refreshment: Cucumber-Matcha Lemonade
- Pour lime juice, soda and water into a large pitcher and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the mint, lemon and lime wedges, Stevia and rum to the pitcher. Gently mash all the ingredients together with a muddler or wooden spoon.
- Pour into pop molds, insert sticks and freeze for at least 12 hours.
- Remove from freezer and let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before removing pops from the molds.
2 Persian cucumbers, chopped
1 cup mint leaves
2 cups cold water
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup blue agave nectar
2 tablespoons matcha green tea powder
1 cup ice (plus more for serving)
- In a blender, puree the cucumbers and mint leaves until just chunky.
- In a large pitcher, combine the water, lemon juice, agave and matcha powder. Add the lemon mixture to the puree and blend until very smooth. Return to the pitcher.
- Serve in ice-filled glasses with mint and cucumber garnishes.
With a little planning and someone to take over the barbeque, your healthy and tasty Memorial Day menu is sure to please. For more healthy recipes, visit: http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/matcha-cucumber-lemonade/