It wouldn’t be the holidays if we didn’t decorate and create the visual holiday cheer in our homes and community centers! Not to mention, crafting is a fun way to get into the holiday spirit with your friends and family.
Here are a few of our favorite DIY holiday crafts that will help liven up your holiday décor this season:
1. 1. Indoor twinkle lights. Who says lights are only for a Christmas tree? There is nothing quite like a warm twinkle light around a doorway or around the edge of your ceiling to really awaken the spirit and holiday mood. If you have a patio, purchase some outdoor lights to hang from a veranda or tree as well!
2. Wreaths. Wreaths come in all shapes, sizes and material. But one thing is true: a wreath hanging on a door or wall is a wonderful way to invite holiday cheer into your home. Visit a local craft store for the “O” shaped wicker or foam to either wrap with fabric or with holiday flowers (poinsettias are our favorite). Get creative with pinecones or beads from your craft drawer.
3. Handmade cards. You are bound to give a few gifts this season that you probably purchased, so why not make it even more personal by painting a holiday card to go along with it? Use construction paper or paint to design a holiday star, tree or bells. Write your own message inside for a personalized touch.
4. Advent Calendar. If you have little ones in your life, this is a great craft to do with them before the start of December. Grab a long wooden board or other frame. Get 25 small paper envelopes to tape up to your board, indicating each day of the month of December. Decorate and fill the envelopes with a small treat (i.e. chocolate, a gift card, a message of love or inspiration), and allow them to open one each day. This will elongate the fun of the holidays and also give you both something to look forward to each day.
5. Create new ornaments. This can be done with just about anything: a picture and a piece of ribbon; a wooden cutout that you can paint and hang with thread; or even a small glass globe that you can fill with holiday décor. The options are endless.
If you are interested in learning more about some simple holiday crafts you can create with your friends and family this season, visit Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/explore/holiday-crafts/?lp=true
Inter Valley Health Plan hosts classes regularly on health and vitality. For a full list of classes in your area, please visit https://www.ivhp.com/forhealthandliving.
Article From Inter Valley Health plan